Fire Inspection Organization
- Fire prevention inspections are the single most important non- firefighting activity performed by the fire service. The inspector, therefore, plays a vital role.
- Inspectors are part detective, part reporter, part technical consultant, part missionary, and part salesperson.
- The inspector must possess a great deal of knowledge regarding fire safety and building codes. Although citing the exact code is not required, it is extremely beneficial to be familiar with it and remain current on any changes.
Fire Inspector's Image
- The inspector's image could be considered one of the most important aspects of the fire inspection. People still "judge a book by its cover." Your customers will form a first impression. This impression is greatly affected by your "cover."
- Your image not only reflects on yourself; it also reflects upon your agency.
- The inspector must be capable of public speaking. The ability to carry on a smooth and easy flowing conversation is vital. Know what you are going to say and say it with confidence (Salesperson).
- The ability to say "I do not know, but will get the answer," is also a desirable part of the vocabulary of an inspector. Do not be embarrassed because you do not know.
Fire Prevention Organization
- Another important image of the inspector is the appearance of his/her vehicle.
FPT 102 - Fire Prevention and Inspection // Instructor: Kevin M. Kolb